Styling & Decluttering Ideas for Back to School
We are well into 2022 and the back to school (let alone getting back into the work routine) can be daunting, a bit chaotic, especially since so many of us have been home schooling for so long. We are all about lightening your load, simplifying the everyday and setting the home up for successful mornings, productive afternoons and calm, super chilled (tantrum free) evenings.
We have curated a few simple styling, decorating and decluttering tips to get you prepped and embracing the fun (and chaos) of juggling back to school and back to work.
I love this quote “it’s not enough to just hope for a happy and healthy life, it’s a combination of mindset, routines and habits working together that will get you there.” We would take it one step further, mindset, routines, habits and the right home environment to get you there…
Set your family up for success
Set up the night before and simplify your morning.
Everyone’s morning routine is unique… and that is unique with a whole lot of unplanned additions. Here are a few small hacks you can set up that make the morning a little more streamlined.
1. Visual Checklists and Organisers – when it comes to back to school the checklist and organiser has never been so important. We are all visual creatures, so having a visual checklist of what needs to be done, what is planned for the week and any variances in schedule really helps the routine. Also, everything having a place helps minimise thinking and creates habits that creates space for learning and quiet time.
There are a lot of stylish ones out there you can even make it a focal piece of your workspace.
2. Pack your bags (and your #OOTD – outfit of the day) the night before.
This is a good one for the kids and the adults of the household. I am a massive fan of this one.
3. Have your gym bag ready by the door. For the kids or the adults too.
4. Drinking water not only is a must for health it is a big booster for concentration. Set out water bottles (recyclable if possible) to remind you to take them, or fill them the night before and put them in the fridge.
5. Has everything got a place in your home? Where do you store your school bags, your gym bag, lunch boxes, sun creams, hats, keys etc.
6. Maximise your sleep – last but definitely not least, you have to have your sleep situation maximised as nothing beats a good night rest.
We love to delve into your morning routine and see if there are any small changes we can help you make to simplify. It’s all about optimizing space and finding storage solutions that fit into your daily needs.
Ask yourself, what are our bottlenecks and pain points in the morning, and what can you create to make your life a little more streamlined?
Re-work and Re-love your Space
No one likes a cramped, cluttered, poorly lit or messy work space. It’s a huge distraction and there are many things we can do to help us keep focused and that promotes good and productive work habits in the home.
Whether it’s random junk that simply doesn’t have a place to go or it’s a collection of toys that your kids like to have on display, it all needs to be removed from the workspace and have a nice home that it can be easily located again.
Creating a work zone helps study time be study time and here are some elements to consider:
- Proper Lighting – One of the most common mistakes people of all ages make these days is when they assume that the light given off by a computer monitor is enough light to work safely. Back to school styling ideas should always include some plan for proper lighting.
- A Comfortable Chair – Having an uncomfortable chair is sooo distracting. This is a must for productivity, posture and also your eyes in the long-term.
- Colour to stimulate focus – yellow is an energising colour and green is comforting, check your space and see if you have the right mix of colours that will keep you stimulated and focused. What are the colours you love and get you into the productive working zone?
- Bring in the green – greenery is not only beautiful, but they also help reduce toxins in the air, boost your mood and improve productivity. If you don’t want the commitment of a houseplant, try adding a bouquet of flowers from the garden or succulents to your counter for an instant mood boost. Greenery makes an excellent addition to any room. Incorporating plants into your bedroom also helps for better night’s sleep!
Styling and decluttering ideas can vary hugely depending on the number of kids you have, number of rooms, routines and the WFH situation.
However, there are always some constants and making some of the above tweaks will make a world of difference.
Here are some product we love that can easily help style your family set up:
– Personalise with this Etsy monthly organiser
– Office Works
– Miss Jacob’s Little Learners
Stylish school chairs, desks & lighting:
– Life Interiors
– Koala Living
– Royal Design
Lockers for storage and organising:
– Mustard Made Lockers
– Montana Furniture
– Ikea Organisers
– RJ Living
We help tailoring a study space for our smaller clients and help to make the daily school run smoother for the entire family.
This is what one busy mum shared with us...
“Being a single mum, my 13yo and 9yo had ended up with an array of different pieces of furniture and toys, games, clothes plus bits and pieces from different ages and stages in their bedrooms. Aisha and Jana suggested a functional session that they would host directly with the girls for a few hours in the school holidays and it’s been a gamechanger. They cleared the clutter and the girls are more comfortable in and proud of their personal spaces. I’d highly recommend this process to any parent (or anyone really) challenged by clutter and disorganisation in the home!”
Mum from Coogee
If you would love some help to get your family #BacktoSchoolReady then reach out for a chat.
Within a 2 hour declutter session we can have your space transformed into a productive retreat that will help you manage what else 2022 throws your way.
We are ready, let us help you!